Question 616159: Tickets for school play go on sale Monday. Prior to this a total of 27 tickets have been purchased by the members of the cast for their families. As the day progresses a total of 6 tickets are sold each hour.
Let “h” represents the number of hours that have gone by and let “t” represents the number of tickets that have been sold.
1. Create a table of values that represent this situation
2. Write an equation that represents this situation.
3. Is this equation linear? (Give evidence to support your decision)
4. Graph this equation on the Cartesian plane below (Be sure to label both axes on your graph)
5. Use the graph to estimate how many tickets will be sold after 10 hours.
6. Use the equation to find how many tickets will be sold after 10 hours.
7. Compare the answers in questions 5 and 6.
8. Choose any two ordered pairs that verify your equation and find the slope using slope =(y2-y1)/(x2-x1)
9. Use any two points on the graph:
a. Highlight the difference between the y-coordinates of these two points (y2-y1) also called vertical change and find its value.
b. Highlight the difference between the x-coordinates of the same two points (x2-x1) also called horizontal change and find its value.
c. Find the ratio of vertical change vs. the horizontal change.
d. Compare this ratio to the slope found in question 8.
10. What does this slope tell us?